Re: Enabling archive_mode without restart

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Enabling archive_mode without restart
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com> writes:
>>> Objections?
>>
>> Why is this worth spending effort on?
>
> The addition of archive_mode changeable with restart only was a
> significant loss of usability going from 8.2 to 8.3, in the minds of
> many people.

It certainly makes more sense to do this:

archive_mode = on
pg_ctl reload

archive_mode = off
pg_ctl reload

versus

archive_command = '/path/to/really/long/archive/string'
pg_ctl reload

archive_command = '/bin/true'
pg_ctl reload

So the short question is, "Do we care about sane behavior for our users?"

If the answer is yes then that is *exactly* why it is worth spending
effort on.

If the answer is no, well it's open source.

Joshua D. Drake