Re: Updating FSM on recovery

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Updating FSM on recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 16:22 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>
>> Arbitrarily, if after a
>> heap insert/update there's less than 20% of free space on the page,
>> the FSM is updated. Compared to updating it every time, that saves a
>> lot of overhead, while doing a pretty good job at marking full pages
>> as full in  the FSM. My first thought was to update the FSM if there
>> isn't enough room on the page for a new tuple of the same size as the
>> one just
>> inserted; that would be pretty close to the logic we have during
>> normal
>> operation, where the FSM is updated when the tuple that we're about
>> insert doesn't fit on the page. But because we don't know the
>> fillfactor
>> during recovery, I don't think we can do reliably.
>
> With HOT, we tend to hover around the nearly-full state, so this seems
> like it will trigger repeatedly.

Hmm, true. Perhaps we should skip updating the FSM on HOT updates. After
recovery, the new HOT-updated tuples are prunable anyway, so for
inserting a new tuple, the page is almost as good as it was before the
HOT update.

> Is it possible that we could put an extra field onto a heap_clean record
> to show remaining space. We would use it only for VACUUMs, not HOT, just
> as we do now.

Sure, we could do that. I'm more worried about "killing" the pages from
the FSM that are full, though, than keeping track of pages with plenty
of free space accurately.

> I wonder if there is merit in having an XLogInsertMulti() which inserts
> multiple records in a batch as a way of reducing WALInsertLock traffic.
> It might be possible to piggyback FSM records onto the main heap
> changes.

Umm, in the version that was finally committed, FSM doesn't generate any
extra WAL records (except for truncation).