Re: The Axe list

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: The Axe list
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:28:29 -0700
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> It's that time again!  Purging antiquated contrib modules.
>>
>> chkpass: this module is incomplete and does not implement all functions
>> it describes.  It's not really even useful as an Example since it uses
>> crypt() and not any modern encryption.  And Darcy hasn't touched it in 6
>> years.
>
> Well, I still use it a lot but I have it in my own CVS tree anyway so I
> won't miss it in contrib.
>
> However, if all it needs is a modern encryption scheme that's probably
> an hour's work.  The only reason that I haven't done so yet is because
> I have no use case.  If I am storing encrypted passwords in a database
> it's probably because I need to generate many password files from it.
> As a result I need to keep it at the LCD.  That's DES.

Is there any reason for using this one over just using pgcrypto, which
also gives you a whole lot more functionality?

> Which described functions are missing?  I wouldn't mind having a
> chance to clean it up before it is removed just in case someone else
> wants to grab it from CVS later.

/* This function checks that the password is a good one* It's just a placeholder for now */
static int
verify_pass(const char *str)
{       return 0;
}

It is documented that this is just a stub though.

//Magnus