Re: 8.3 vs HEAD difference in Interval output?

От Ron Mayer
Тема Re: 8.3 vs HEAD difference in Interval output?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner wrote:

> Even more surprising is the behavior for interval(1) here:
> [.... some context with nonsurprising examples removed ...]
> ccdev=# select '1 year 2 mons 3 days 04:05:06.64321'::interval(1);
>              interval
> ----------------------------------
>  1 year 2 mons 3 days 04:05:06.60
> (1 row)
>
> That trailing zero should be considered a bug.

Is there a consensus that we don't want that trailing zero?
I notice that datetime.c's "TrimTrailingZeros(char *str)" has
the comment:
/* chop off trailing zeros... but leave at least 2 fractional digits */
that suggests that the trailing zero was intentional, but I
can't find any reasons why 2 fractional disgits were left.

The same function's also used for timestamps, so if we remove that
trailing zero in both places we'll see some regression differences
where we get
!     | Mon Feb 10 17:32:01.5 1997 PST |    1997 |    7 |   1
instead of
!     | Mon Feb 10 17:32:01.50 1997 PST |    1997 |    7 |   1

IMHO we don't want the extra zero for timestamps either.

If people agree I'll fold it into the patch dealing with
the other interval rounding eccentricities I have.