Re: 8.3 vs HEAD difference in Interval output?

От Kenneth Marshall
Тема Re: 8.3 vs HEAD difference in Interval output?
Дата
Re: 8.3 vs HEAD difference in Interval output?  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 11:50:17AM -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
>>  Even more surprising is the behavior for interval(1) here:
>> [.... some context with nonsurprising examples removed ...]
>> ccdev=# select '1 year 2 mons 3 days 04:05:06.64321'::interval(1);
>>              interval
>> ----------------------------------
>>  1 year 2 mons 3 days 04:05:06.60
>> (1 row)
>> That trailing zero should be considered a bug.
>
> Is there a consensus that we don't want that trailing zero?
> I notice that datetime.c's "TrimTrailingZeros(char *str)" has
> the comment:
> /* chop off trailing zeros... but leave at least 2 fractional digits */
> that suggests that the trailing zero was intentional, but I
> can't find any reasons why 2 fractional disgits were left.
>
> The same function's also used for timestamps, so if we remove that
> trailing zero in both places we'll see some regression differences
> where we get
> !     | Mon Feb 10 17:32:01.5 1997 PST |    1997 |    7 |   1
> instead of
> !     | Mon Feb 10 17:32:01.50 1997 PST |    1997 |    7 |   1
>
> IMHO we don't want the extra zero for timestamps either.

There is a difference between the result 0.6 and 0.60 in rounding.
The first is accurate +-0.05 and the second is +-0.005. Certainly,
it does not seem unreasonable that machines can calulate intervals
to the nearest 100th of a second. What is not clear to me is how the
decision to stop at the 2nd decimal digit was reached. If timestamps
are accurate to 1/100th, intervals should be returned to that level
of accuracy as well. Trailing digits definitely have meaning.

My 2 cents,
Ken