Re: parallel pg_restore - WIP patch

От Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Тема Re: parallel pg_restore - WIP patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:

>>> Yeah, I was just thinking about that.  The current archive format
>>> doesn't really carry enough information for this.  I think there
>>> are two basic solutions we could adopt:
>>>
>>> * Extend the archive format to provide some indication that "restoring
>>> this object requires exclusive access to these dependencies".
>>>
>>> * Hardwire knowledge into pg_restore that certain types of objects
>>> require exclusive access to their dependencies.
>>>
>>> The former seems more flexible, as well as more in tune with the basic
>>> design assumption that pg_restore shouldn't have a lot of knowledge
>>> about individual archive object types.  But it would mean that you
>>> couldn't use parallel restore with any pre-8.4 dumps.  In the long run
>>> that's no big deal, but in the short run it's annoying.
>>
>> hmm not sure how much of a problem that really is - we usually
>> recommend to use the pg_dump version of the target database anyway.
>>

> We don't really need a huge amount of hardwiring as it turns out. Here
> is a version of the patch that tries to do what's needed in this area.

this one is much better - however I still seem to be able to create
deadlock scenarios with strange FK relations - ie FKs going in both
directions between two tables.

for those interested these are the timings on my 8 core testbox for my
test database:

single process restore: 169min
-m2: 101min
-m6: 64min