Re: performance impact of non-C locale

От: Peter Eisentraut
Тема: Re: performance impact of non-C locale
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

performance impact of non-C locale  (Axel Rau, )
 Re: performance impact of non-C locale  (Peter Eisentraut, )
  Re: performance impact of non-C locale  (Axel Rau, )

Axel Rau wrote:
> some erp software requires a change of my pgsql cluster from
>     locale C        encoding UTF-8
>     locale de_DE.UTF-8    encoding UTF-8
>
> Most of my databases have only ASCII text data (8 bit UTF8 code range)
> in the text columns.
> Does the above change influence index performance on such columns?

Yes.

> Does postmaster keep track on any multibyte characters being inserted in
> such columns, so that the planner can adapt?

No.

> What other performance impacts can be expected?

The performance impact is mainly with string comparisons and sorts.  I
suggest you run your own tests to find out what is acceptable in your
scenario.