Re: High inserting by syslog

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: High inserting by syslog
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr. wrote:
> Hello all, I have a perl script thats load a entire day squid log to a
> postgres table. I run it at midnight by cronjob and turns off the indexes
> before do it (turning it on after). The script works fine, but I want to
> change this to a diferent approach.
>
> I'd like to insert on the fly the log lines, so long it be generated to have
> the data on-line. But the table has some indexes and the load of lines is
> about 300.000/day, so the average inserting is 3,48/sec. I think this could
> overload the database server (i did not test yet), so if I want to create a
> no indexed table to receive the on-line inserting and do a job moving all
> lines to the main indexed table at midnight.
>
> My question is, Does exists a better solution, or this tatic is a good way to
> do this?
The average matters less than the peak. Unless your traffic is even
24x7, your rate will be higher. If your log is concentrated in an 8-hour
workday, your average daytime rate will be closer to 10/second with
peaks that are much higher. You might consider some form of buffering
between the Squid log and the database to avoid blocking. Your current
method has the advantage of moving the database workload to off-hours.

Instead of moving data, you might look into partitioning your data. How
long do you keep your logs actively available in PostgreSQL? I know one
company that partitions their log data into months (parent table with
child table for each month). They keep 12-months of data live so they
rotate through the child tables. At the start of a month, that month's
table is truncated. Modify as appropriate for your load - perhaps a
partition (child-table) for each day. Or a current-day child-table that
is migrated into a main-table nightly. Either way you can make it appear
that the parent-table is an up-to-date complete table.

You will need to do some reading on table partitioning if you go this
route. Pay special attention to the requirements needed to optimize queries.

You might also want to check your stats tables to make sure the indexes
you currently maintain are actually used by your queries and remove any
that are unnecessary to reduce index-maintenance overhead.

Another possible technique would be to have a nightly process that
creates partial-indexes. One set of indexes would cover all data prior
to midnight and the other set all data after midnight. Depending on the
nature of your "real-time" vs. historical queries, these might even be
different indexes. You will have to tweak your queries to make use of
your indexes but your live data won't have to update your "historical"
indexes. Warning: the date-constraint in the partial index must be
static - you can't do something like "...where squidlog_timestamp >
current_date...".  Your nightly process will be creating new indexes
with a new date-constraint. You might even be able to get away with
having no indexes on the current-day's data and just recreate historical
indexes nightly (similar to your no-index with nightly-insert).

But don't try the above till you determine you have a problem. On modest
3-year-old non-dedicated (also running file-storage, rsync backup,
mail...) hardware with basic SATA RAID1 we are handling a similar load
without strain.

Cheers,
Steve

От: Alan Hodgson
Сообщение: Re: High inserting by syslog
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Memory use in 8.3 plpgsql with heavy use of xpath()