High inserting by syslog

От Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr.
Тема High inserting by syslog
Дата
Re: High inserting by syslog  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
Re: High inserting by syslog  (Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hello all, I have a perl script thats load a entire day squid log to a
postgres table. I run it at midnight by cronjob and turns off the indexes
before do it (turning it on after). The script works fine, but I want to
change this to a diferent approach.

I'd like to insert on the fly the log lines, so long it be generated to have
the data on-line. But the table has some indexes and the load of lines is
about 300.000/day, so the average inserting is 3,48/sec. I think this could
overload the database server (i did not test yet), so if I want to create a
no indexed table to receive the on-line inserting and do a job moving all
lines to the main indexed table at midnight.

My question is, Does exists a better solution, or this tatic is a good way to
do this?

--
Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr.
Sócio-Diretor