Re: pg crashing

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: pg crashing
Дата
Re: pg crashing  ("Roberts, Jon" <Jon.Roberts@asurion.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Roberts, Jon wrote:
>> Not having looked at the internals of db_link, I'd say it's certainly
>> possible that this is the reason for the failed restart. If db_link is
>> blocking something, the postmaster can't kill it off, and it'll still
> be
>> sitting there holding a reference to the shared memory segment.
>>
>> That said, it shouldn't be the reason why it's crashing in the first
>> place - just the reason why it won't restart properly.
>>

> Is this a problem in Unix?  We are about 1 - 2 weeks away from moving
> this database to Solaris.

Not likely, but I'd test it anyway. If the issue is related to AV, it's
certainly fine - you won't be running AV on your Solaris. But more
importantly, Unix has actual support for signals and not just the fake
stuff we have on Win32, so it's likely that the postmaster will be
capable of killing the child processes.

//Magnus