Re: writing a function without installing a language

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: writing a function without installing a language
Дата
Список pgsql-general
${spencer} wrote:
> is there a way to write a function without installing a specific
> language? all i need to do is write a function that can take 3 text's
> and put them into a list format (eg. "text1, text2 and text3" )

Does PL/PgSQL count as a "language" for your purposes?

PL/PgSQL is built and shipped with the postgreSQL server. It's
essentially always installed. By default it's just not enabled for
access in any database.

The statement:

   CREATE LANGUAGE plpgsql;

just tells a given database that PL/PgSQL should be available.

Failing that, you might be able to use an SQL function (though I don't
really see how you'd handle the special case for "and" without a
subquery to obtain a total result count) or write a C extension to do it.

Using PL/PgSQL is certainly the easy way.

--
Craig Ringer