Re: Custom C function - is palloc broken?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Custom C function - is palloc broken?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> writes:
>> The other thing I had to do was add include guards on pg_config_os.h to
>> protect against repeat inclusion. VC++ 8.0 does not like the repeated
>> definition of `struct timezone' and `struct itimerval' (but 9.0 -
>> correctly - doesn't care). I have no idea how the standard binaries were
>> built with VC++ without that change
>
> Maybe because it's only included once anyway?

It's included twice if WIN32 is not defined, but you're actually
building on win32. WIN32 is defined by all Microsoft build tools EXCEPT
Visual Studio Express Edition 2005's default win32 project, which is why
2005 wasn't working but 2008 was.

> I'm starting to wonder just how broken the tools you two are using
> must be ... and to give thanks once again that I never got sucked
> into trying to do development on Windows.

The tools are VERY broken if you're talking about VS Express Edition 2005.

My own Windows development is only reluctant, and only because it's more
hassle trying to walk someone through tracking down some insane issue
than to just test it myself. It's generally limited to doing occasional
test builds of software I'm involved with on windows to make sure it
still works. As a result, I'm even worse at Windows development than I
am on UNIX.

I avoid working on win32 where possible, because it's horrible. Doubly
so with Visual Studio 2005 express, which in its default install is
significantly different to what most win32 code expects.

As for "postgres is broken" - I'm not saying that at all. I do think
there's a problem with the module magic macros, but it won't stop
anything from working (though it might slow down function calls to user
modules). I do think `libintl.h' shouldn't be exposed in the public
headers if possible - but again, it won't break anything, it's just a
cosmetic/usability thing.

I've repeatedly noted that it's highly likely I'm doing something wrong
in my build setup.

Well, I was. As well as the issue with the WIN32 macro noted above, I
had omitted postgresql/include/server/port/win32 from my header search
path (thinking that postgresql/include/server/port/win32_msvc was a
replacement, not a supplement). This is what I get for working on these
things at stupid-o-clock in the morning.

So:

If using Visual Studio Express Edition 2005, make sure to set WIN32 in
the preprocessor definitions (or modify the default project file to set
them automatically).

The appropriate header search path is:

include/server
include/server/port/win32_msvc
include/server/port/win32

... and it appears that the examples in the documentation will not work
for win32/msvc without a __declspec(dllexport) attribute to ensure that
functions are exported, but otherwise work just fine if your build
environment is set up correctly.

--
Craig Ringer