Re: Custom C function - is palloc broken?

От Dan \"Heron\" Myers
Тема Re: Custom C function - is palloc broken?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Craig Ringer wrote:
> And in the server log files (PG_INSTALL_DIR\data\pg_log) ?

The log files contained no indication of an error, not even an "oops,
the server crashed" message.

> I'd be interested in confirmation that you're able to get your code
> working when you build it with VC++ .

I did get the examples.c file to work with VC++ 2008 Professional, so I
should be able to get the other functions I need to work.

Tom Lane wrote:
 > You need to
 > get over this concept of "Postgres is broken" and try to identify a
 > specific reason why your DLL builds are not working.

I don't think I ever said Postgres was broken.  I said Postgres was
crashing.  I expressed doubt that Postgres' win32 binary was built with
MSVC++... mostly because the website still says it was built with mingw.
  In any case, I was mostly confused that Postgres would build their
stuff with MSVC++ but not provide #ifndef WIN32 (or whatever) blocks
around the stuff that can be ignored in windows.

But that's all essentially irrelevant.  In the future I will keep my
speculation to myself lest I be accused of calling Postgres "broken".

 > I'm starting to wonder just how broken the tools you two are using
 > must be ...

If by "broken" you mean "a Windows-only compiler excluding unix-only
headers from its include directories", then I guess Visual Studio is
completely broken.  If by "broken" you mean "MinGW apparently can't be
used to compile .dlls for use with Postgres", then that is also correct.
  I don't think either set of tools is actually broken, though.

In any case, I did get the examples compiling with Visual C++ 2008
Professional, and the resulting .dll does work in Postgres.  If I run
into any other problems I'll be back.

Thanks,
Dan

Сообщение: Re: Custom C function - is palloc broken?
Сообщение: Re: Custom C function - is palloc broken?