Re: PostgreSQL website translations

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Adrian Maier a écrit :
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Adrian Maier wrote:
>>  > Perhaps we could something like  :  every translated contains
>>  > a comment with the  date+time+revision  of the corresponding
>>  > English page ?    at least this would make it possible to
>>  > manually manage the corresponding English revision for a given
>>  > translated page.
>>
>>  Perhaps we could use a custom svn property for that? That would likely
>>  make it easier to process automatically to pull out differences and
>>  such. And perhaps some wrapper scripts around svn to help you set
>>  things automatically?
>
> I haven't used such custom properties.  As long as such a property can
> be set for individual files ,  it seems to be a better (more reliable) solution
> compared to relying on comments.   Some scripts for using this facility
> would be a significant progress .

There's something I don't quite understand. What's the interest in
having these comments (or custom svn properties) ?

Tell me if I'm wrong. This is what we want to achieve :  we want to know if a specific translated webpage is out of
date

Problem is :  * translator checks out a file  * during the translation, someone else checks out the file  * and commit
itschanges  * then translator commits its new translation

Using the modification date doesn't help us because the translation file
will be newer than the english one.
Using the svn revision does not help us because the translation file
will have a revision newer than the english one.

So, your idea seems to put the revision of the english file in a comment
or in a custom property. So, it's a manual change :
 * translator checks out a file * he updates the comment of the translation with the revision of the   english file *
hetranslates * he commits

Is that right ?

And when the web server needs to choose between the english file and the
translated one, it parses the translated one to get the revision put in
comments, it gets the current revision of the english files and it
finally compares them ?

Could work, but we still rely on the translator good will. No automatic
process here. Or am I wrong ?

--
Guillaume. http://www.postgresqlfr.org http://dalibo.com

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website translations