Re: New email list for emergency communications

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: New email list for emergency communications
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> I have IRC ops too.  But I am really looking for something that notifies
>> me that there is a problem, rather than having me go looking for
>> information.  If email is down, people should be able to subscribe to
>> alerts and status reports.
>
> 'k, I can guarantee you that if/when there is a problem, my focus is going to
> be on *fixing* the problem, not sending out status messages to the effect of
> "its still down" ...

Any reliable network infrastructure will have the ability for the users
of that infrastructure to get a status update on a particular problem. I
am able to do this even with my uber cheap DSL line. I call the status
line when there is a problem and a nice little attendant says, "Yo... we
know there is a problem in hood river, ETA to fix, 2 hours".

Do I think it is reasonable that Marc or anyone else start sending out
status messages? No.

Do I think it is reasonable that when there is a problem that a ticket
be created on pmt.postgresql.org that describes the problem, and when
the problem is fixed (or if the problem is going to be longer term),
that ticket be updated and closed? Yes.

We are either a network of professionals supporting an infrastructure,
or were not.

Whether we like it or not, the moment we agreed to be on sysadmins@,
postgresql.org became our customer. We should act like they are our
customer and provide the relevant and appropriate customer
communications. That means, tickets, updates, communication, and
documentation.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: New email list for emergency communications
Сообщение: Re: New email list for emergency communications