Обсуждение: New email list for emergency communications

New email list for emergency communications

Дата:
[ BCC to core.]

Right now we have no way to communicate as a group if our community
email infrastructure isn't working.

Therefore, I have created an email list on my machine that can be used
for communication in such situations.  It is called:
pgsql-emergency@momjian.us

I envision this as an email list that will allow more rapid recovery
during email outages.  I know many use IRC in such cases but this allows
notification.  Also some don't use IRC.

Anyone can post to the email list. There is no moderation, though the
list sits behind my spam filters.  The list will not be archived.

If you want to be subscribed, please email me privately.  I think it is
particularly important for infrastructure managers to be subscribed to
this list.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:17:02 -0400 (EDT)
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> [ BCC to core.]
>
> Right now we have no way to communicate as a group if our community
> email infrastructure isn't working.

Yes there is.

jabber.postgresql.org
irc.freenode.net
direct email

Not to mention how many other services people are using with buddy
lists? :P

> Therefore, I have created an email list on my machine that can be used
> for communication in such situations.  It is called:
>
>     pgsql-emergency@momjian.us
>
> I envision this as an email list that will allow more rapid recovery
> during email outages.  I know many use IRC in such cases but this
> allows notification.  Also some don't use IRC.

Everyone in the know uses one of:

gtalk
yahoo
irc
jabber

> If you want to be subscribed, please email me privately.  I think it
> is particularly important for infrastructure managers to be
> subscribed to this list.

I would like the requirements defined by the -www and sysadmins teams.
I don't want us to go off and create yet more infrastructure without
full documentation and understanding of the purpose and whether it is
redundant.

This list is currently redundant as we have the resources and
technology already in place to deal with this. I think you are
attacking the wrong problem Bruce.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

Re: New email list for emergency communications

Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:17:02 -0400 (EDT)
> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>

> > [ BCC to core.]
> >
> > Right now we have no way to communicate as a group if our community
> > email infrastructure isn't working.
>
> Yes there is.
>
> jabber.postgresql.org
> irc.freenode.net
> direct email

I think we need something more centralized, and with chat you have to
know to look there for problems.  I think we need something that
allows people to notify us if there is a problem.

> > If you want to be subscribed, please email me privately.  I think it
> > is particularly important for infrastructure managers to be
> > subscribed to this list.
>
> I would like the requirements defined by the -www and sysadmins teams.
> I don't want us to go off and create yet more infrastructure without
> full documentation and understanding of the purpose and whether it is
> redundant.
>
> This list is currently redundant as we have the resources and
> technology already in place to deal with this. I think you are
> attacking the wrong problem Bruce.

Again, see above.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:17:02 -0400 (EDT)
> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>

>> [ BCC to core.]
>>
>> Right now we have no way to communicate as a group if our community
>> email infrastructure isn't working.
>
> Yes there is.
>
> jabber.postgresql.org
> irc.freenode.net
> direct email
>
> Not to mention how many other services people are using with buddy
> lists? :P
>

>> Therefore, I have created an email list on my machine that can be used
>> for communication in such situations.  It is called:
>>
>>     pgsql-emergency@momjian.us
>>
>> I envision this as an email list that will allow more rapid recovery
>> during email outages.  I know many use IRC in such cases but this
>> allows notification.  Also some don't use IRC.
>>

> Everyone in the know uses one of:
>
> gtalk
> yahoo
> irc
> jabber
>
>> If you want to be subscribed, please email me privately.  I think it
>> is particularly important for infrastructure managers to be
>> subscribed to this list.
>
> I would like the requirements defined by the -www and sysadmins teams.
> I don't want us to go off and create yet more infrastructure without
> full documentation and understanding of the purpose and whether it is
> redundant.
>
> This list is currently redundant as we have the resources and
> technology already in place to deal with this. I think you are
> attacking the wrong problem Bruce.

For how often it happens, its worth nothing: I agree 100% with Joshua
here, but, if Bruce wants to create a list on his personal domain (which,
in itself is a failure point as it requires that *his* domain is not 100%
perfect), it doesn't mean that anyone actually has to *use* it ... I know
I never will, since there already exist faster, more reliable, contact
methods ...

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: New email list for emergency communications

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > I would like the requirements defined by the -www and sysadmins teams.
> > I don't want us to go off and create yet more infrastructure without
> > full documentation and understanding of the purpose and whether it is
> > redundant.
> >
> > This list is currently redundant as we have the resources and
> > technology already in place to deal with this. I think you are
> > attacking the wrong problem Bruce.
>
> For how often it happens, its worth nothing: I agree 100% with Joshua
> here, but, if Bruce wants to create a list on his personal domain (which,
> in itself is a failure point as it requires that *his* domain is not 100%
> perfect), it doesn't mean that anyone actually has to *use* it ... I know
> I never will, since there already exist faster, more reliable, contact
> methods ...

I think we need a more centralized contact system than we have now.
Personally when I don't get email I am unsure who to contact (because
community email is down).  The email list was a method to centralize
that.  The list of possible contact methods listed confirms my point.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:36:55 -0400 (EDT)
> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>

> > I think we need something more centralized, and with chat you have to
> > know to look there for problems.  I think we need something that
> > allows people to notify us if there is a problem.
>
> We are attacking the wrong problem. 99% of the time we know when
> there is a problem. I leave the 1% only because we aren't perfect.

Well, I certainly don't until I realize I haven't received email, nor do
I know who is working on it.  Right now the emergency communication
system is ad-hock.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I think we need a more centralized contact system than we have now.
> Personally when I don't get email I am unsure who to contact (because
> community email is down).  The email list was a method to centralize
> that.  The list of possible contact methods listed confirms my point.

Perhaps you should have a jabber.postgresql.org account?

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: New email list for emergency communications

Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I think we need a more centralized contact system than we have now.
> > Personally when I don't get email I am unsure who to contact (because
> > community email is down).  The email list was a method to centralize
> > that.  The list of possible contact methods listed confirms my point.
>
> Perhaps you should have a jabber.postgresql.org account?

What does that do for me that my existing jabber account does not?

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: New email list for emergency communications

Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:47:20 -0400 (EDT)
> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> > > For how often it happens, its worth nothing: I agree 100% with
> > > Joshua here, but, if Bruce wants to create a list on his personal
> > > domain (which, in itself is a failure point as it requires that
> > > *his* domain is not 100% perfect), it doesn't mean that anyone
> > > actually has to *use* it ... I know I never will, since there
> > > already exist faster, more reliable, contact methods ...
> >
> > I think we need a more centralized contact system than we have now.
> > Personally when I don't get email I am unsure who to contact (because
> > community email is down).  The email list was a method to centralize
> > that.  The list of possible contact methods listed confirms my point.
>
> This comes back to defining teams which is already being discussed in
> another thread. The people that need to be contacted are the sysadmins
> team but we need to know how. Right now, the only people that know how
> to get a hold of the sysadmins team, is the sysadmins team :P.

My big point is if the sysadmins team is hosted by the postgresql.org
domain, how do we communicate with them when postgresql.org email is
down?

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: New email list for emergency communications

Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:52:25 -0400 (EDT)
> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> > > Perhaps you should have a jabber.postgresql.org account?
> >
> > What does that do for me that my existing jabber account does not?
> >

> Your jabber account can not talk to jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org when
> there is a problem with archives. Marc should really be on it too but
> besides you too, all of the sysadmins and -www team is already on it.

OK, sign me up (time for another Pidgin account).

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> [ BCC to core.]
>
> Right now we have no way to communicate as a group if our community
> email infrastructure isn't working.
>
> Therefore, I have created an email list on my machine that can be used
> for communication in such situations.  It is called:
>
>     pgsql-emergency@momjian.us
>
> I envision this as an email list that will allow more rapid recovery
> during email outages.  I know many use IRC in such cases but this allows
> notification.  Also some don't use IRC.
>
> Anyone can post to the email list. There is no moderation, though the
> list sits behind my spam filters.  The list will not be archived.
>
> If you want to be subscribed, please email me privately.  I think it is
> particularly important for infrastructure managers to be subscribed to
> this list.

There is one for sysadmins already. Every email on sysadmins has "If the
PostgreSQL.org mailing lists are down, use the auxillary list
pgsysadmins@agliodbs.com "

I'm nto sure if that one is synced automatically though. Josh?

//Magnus

Re: [CORE] New email list for emergency communications

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> [ BCC to core.]
>
> Right now we have no way to communicate as a group if our community
> email infrastructure isn't working.
>
> Therefore, I have created an email list on my machine that can be used
> for communication in such situations.  It is called:
>
>        pgsql-emergency@momjian.us

Thanks Bruce, but we've had such a list for a couple of years already.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> I would like the requirements defined by the -www and sysadmins teams.
>>> I don't want us to go off and create yet more infrastructure without
>>> full documentation and understanding of the purpose and whether it is
>>> redundant.
>>>
>>> This list is currently redundant as we have the resources and
>>> technology already in place to deal with this. I think you are
>>> attacking the wrong problem Bruce.
>> For how often it happens, its worth nothing: I agree 100% with Joshua
>> here, but, if Bruce wants to create a list on his personal domain (which,
>> in itself is a failure point as it requires that *his* domain is not 100%
>> perfect), it doesn't mean that anyone actually has to *use* it ... I know
>> I never will, since there already exist faster, more reliable, contact
>> methods ...
>
> I think we need a more centralized contact system than we have now.
> Personally when I don't get email I am unsure who to contact (because
> community email is down).  The email list was a method to centralize
> that.  The list of possible contact methods listed confirms my point.

the sysadmin team already maintains a list of emergency contacts
including external email, phone numbers, alternative contacts in
addition to the what we are usually using to communicate (IM,personal
email, the lists) - not sure if we need to duplicate that ...

Stefan

Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >
> > [ BCC to core.]
> >
> > Right now we have no way to communicate as a group if our community
> > email infrastructure isn't working.
> >
> > Therefore, I have created an email list on my machine that can be used
> > for communication in such situations.  It is called:
> >
> >        pgsql-emergency@momjian.us
>
> Thanks Bruce, but we've had such a list for a couple of years already.

Oh, I didn't know.  Email list removed.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:48:36AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Well, I certainly don't until I realize I haven't received email, nor do
> I know who is working on it.  Right now the emergency communication
> system is ad-hock.

So the solution you propose does not solve the problem you think you have
-- i.e. that in the event there is a failure, the community doesn't know it.

Would a health check system that updated web pages based on the monitor
status help?  (Hint: I think the monitors are already in place.  What we
need is some additional ways of accessing that data, I guess.)

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:57:39AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > besides you too, all of the sysadmins and -www team is already on it.
>
> OK, sign me up (time for another Pidgin account).

You shouldn't need more than one account -- jabber should allow
authentication against any jabber server.

Re: [CORE] New email list for emergency communications

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

>>        pgsql-emergency@momjian.us
>
> Thanks Bruce, but we've had such a list for a couple of years already.

Where is that list?  I can't remember the name of it, and it's had no
traffic ...

--Josh

Re: New email list for emergency communications

Дата:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:48:36AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Well, I certainly don't until I realize I haven't received email, nor do
> > I know who is working on it.  Right now the emergency communication
> > system is ad-hock.
>
> So the solution you propose does not solve the problem you think you have
> -- i.e. that in the event there is a failure, the community doesn't know it.
>
> Would a health check system that updated web pages based on the monitor
> status help?  (Hint: I think the monitors are already in place.  What we
> need is some additional ways of accessing that data, I guess.)

Personally, I would love to get an email when the community email system
isn't working, and status while it is being worked on.  I assume others
would like to as well, so I don't go reporting/contacting people when
things are already being worked on.

Right now, when email is down, I just start IM'ing people.  A more
structured system would help me.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

Дата:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:57:39AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > besides you too, all of the sysadmins and -www team is already on it.
> >
> > OK, sign me up (time for another Pidgin account).
>
> You shouldn't need more than one account -- jabber should allow
> authentication against any jabber server.

I am told our jabber system is private.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: [CORE] New email list for emergency communications

Дата:

Read later in the thread.  It is at agliodbs.com (your domain).

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 01:39:07PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am told our jabber system is private.

That's a pity.  It dramatically reduces the utility of the system, and I've
yet to hear a justification for it in any installation I've seen.

Re: [CORE] New email list for emergency communications

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> >>        pgsql-emergency@momjian.us
> >
> > Thanks Bruce, but we've had such a list for a couple of years already.
> >

> Where is that list?  I can't remember the name of it, and it's had no
> traffic ...

pgsysadmins@agliodbs.com

And no, I don't think it's ever been used because in the event of
major problems Magnus, Stefan and I communicate via MSN, Jabber, email
or phone - and when Marc is needed and is asleep (which tends to be
the case at the time when things generally seem to go wrong), we page
him.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 01:39:07PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I am told our jabber system is private.
>
> That's a pity.  It dramatically reduces the utility of the system, and
> I've yet to hear a justification for it in any installation I've seen.

Agreed.  It would be very nice if it were a usable system for the
outside world.

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:54:18 -0300 Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 01:39:07PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > I am told our jabber system is private.
> >
> > That's a pity.  It dramatically reduces the utility of the system, and
> > I've yet to hear a justification for it in any installation I've seen.
>
> Agreed.  It would be very nice if it were a usable system for the
> outside world.

Yes, i was asked more than once by ppl using a Google talk account.
Would be nice to have them added without adding another account in
pidgin.

Kind regards

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:48:36AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> Well, I certainly don't until I realize I haven't received email, nor do
>>> I know who is working on it.  Right now the emergency communication
>>> system is ad-hock.
>> So the solution you propose does not solve the problem you think you have
>> -- i.e. that in the event there is a failure, the community doesn't know it.
>>
>> Would a health check system that updated web pages based on the monitor
>> status help?  (Hint: I think the monitors are already in place.  What we
>> need is some additional ways of accessing that data, I guess.)
>
> Personally, I would love to get an email when the community email system
> isn't working, and status while it is being worked on.  I assume others
> would like to as well, so I don't go reporting/contacting people when
> things are already being worked on.

there is a large grey area here and things are by far not as black &
white as your are painting them - like just defining what constitutes
"community email not working" is not easy - he have a few dozends checks
on that already and you can assume that we are aware of issues usually
faster than most other people.

For the reporting/contacting stuff it seems you actually want to start
advocating a tracker/ticketing solution for the project which is an
interesting idea (note that the sysadmin team already has simple
tracker/ticket solution internally).

As for providing status updates and stuff like that - this is probably
much more than we can do(we don't have unlimited resources ...) - this
is still a community project( for 99% of the issues (because those are
either fixed very quickly or have no or no noticable effect on the
infrastructure).
For planned maintenance and reboots/updates of major infrastructure
components we are actually trying to inform in advance (but we could
certainly improve in that area)

> Right now, when email is down, I just start IM'ing people.  A more
> structured system would help me.

Some people would say a more structured approach to patch/bug tracking
would help them (but maybe not help you) ;-)
Getting you sent the alerts too is simple to do - but the question is
more of what value that information would be for you ?

Stefan

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:31:16 +0100
"Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

> Yes, i was asked more than once by ppl using a Google talk account.
> Would be nice to have them added without adding another account in
> pidgin.

Apparently I have more work to do than anyone else :P. I have zero
desire to have people contacting me from gmail, yahoo or other such
thing. I am busy enough.

The purpose of the jabber server was to allow contributors direct
access to each other. If we open it up, that has the potential for even
more communication overload.

If we really want a public jabber server we can do that but I would
like it to be separate from the internal jabber.postgresql server. We
could then setup the public jabber server so that it can communicate
with the private jabber server.

This would allow people who want to stay off the public im channels to
stay off but still be able to communicate with those that wish to have
a public jabber.postgresql.org account.

Joshua D. Drake
PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit

Re: New email list for emergency communications

Дата:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> > Right now, when email is down, I just start IM'ing people.  A more
> > structured system would help me.
>
> Some people would say a more structured approach to patch/bug tracking
> would help them (but maybe not help you) ;-)
> Getting you sent the alerts too is simple to do - but the question is
> more of what value that information would be for you ?

When email was down this past week, I had no idea if the problem was
known and who was working on it.  I envisioned something like the
emergency broadcast system in the USA that sends out an alerts and
allows communication to continue while community email is down.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> This would allow people who want to stay off the public im channels to
> stay off but still be able to communicate with those that wish to have
> a public jabber.postgresql.org account.

I'm not sure I follow this argument.  If people don't want to be
contacted by outer people, just don't add them as contacts.

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 13:36 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hey... What does Devrim really look like, he sounds cute?

Yes I do. :-P
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: New email list for emergency communications

Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Well I could be wrong on this but my understanding is that not adding
> them to contacts does not prevent them from trying to be contacted.
>
> One of the major reasons people are fleeing yahoo messenger (and why I
> dropped it years ago) is the amount of people sending me things like:
>
> SBF18 36/24/36
>
> I am entirely too old to be futzing with that. Not to mention I
> am married and it was likely some man sending the message in the
> first place. Instant messaging is a collaborative work tool for me. I
> don't want to be contacted with:
>
> Hey... your that postgresql dude aren't you?
> Hey... can I ask you a quick autovacuum question, you work with Alvaro
> right?
> Hey... What does Devrim really look like, he sounds cute?

Funny, I had this exact problem with Yahoo and found the answer last
week.  In Pidgin under Tools/Privacy, if I choose Yahoo, I can select
"Allow only the users on my buddy list" and that should take care of
troll IM's.  Jabber also has that option.  I assume all IM tools have
that option.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> One of the major reasons people are fleeing yahoo messenger (and why I
> dropped it years ago) is the amount of people sending me things like:
>
> SBF18 36/24/36

Hmm, I have no idea what these numbers mean (I can guess), but I think I
only got annoyed once via IM and then I learned to set the privacy
setting.

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: New email list for emergency communications

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: New email list for emergency communications

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

Signature separators again (was Re: New email list for ...)

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc, apparently the signature separators on Majordomo are now broken.
I am seeing a single dash and no space:

> -
> Sent via pgsql-www mailing list (pgsql-www@postgresql.org)
> To make changes to your subscription:
> http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-www

Re: Signature separators again (was Re: New email list for ...)

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата: