Re: PostgreSQL website translations

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Adrian Maier a écrit :
>> [...]
>> So:  should I spend time with bringing my Romanian translation
>> of the website up-to-date ?    or there is too little interest  ?
>>

> Despite the lack of answer, I think there is interest in translating the
> website. But there's a few things to do before adding the translation. I
> need to remember what Magnus told me about this last november :) ( ...
> if I remember well, I had to find some way to figure out if pages are
> out of date and if possible show the english page if the translated page
> is out of date ... something like this but Magnus will correct me if I'm
> wrong). Oh, and the pictures need to be "translatable" too.

My apologies for not responding to this one earlier. It's certainly bee
on my list to do.

I think what we really need before we can proceed properly with this is
a "www code hacker" who can work the translation code. Not just a
translator (don't get me wrong, we need a bunch of translators as well
of course). Someone who can basically take responsibility for fixing up
the code to work with the translations. There are a lot of small things
broken in it AFAIK, and they need to be fixed. Guillaume mentions a
couple of them, I think there are a few more. And some sections just
don't have translatability implemented (yet).

There's no rocket science level code in the website, but said someone
certainly needs to have a fairly good grasp of PHP and of coding in
general. And most important - needs to have time to work on it.

As usual, this is best done in an incremental fashion rather than
dumping a mega-patch in there - it'll be much more likely to be reviewed
and applied quickly then.

But in the end, I think there is certainly interest in doing it. The
reason the "current web team" is a bit slow on this is that we don't
have what it takes to maintain such things once they are in right now -
which is why we need someone to step up for the long term there. (IMO,
of course, other members of the team may disagree on this, but I don't
think they do)

//Magnus

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: