Re: 8.3.0 upgrade, confused by documentation

От Chander Ganesan
Тема Re: 8.3.0 upgrade, confused by documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Tena Sakai wrote:

> Hi Chander,
>
> Thank you for your explanation.  I need a bit more
> information/de-confusion, though...
>
> I intend to follow the upgrade installation as much
> as I can.  Doing so, I have shut down the 8.2.4 (as
> shown in step 2) and renamed pgsql to pgsql.old (as
> shown in step 3).  How would I get the new (8.3.0)
> that I just installed via step 4 to dump the database
> that's not up?  And would I have done steps 5 through 7?

Okay.  I think that before shutting down 8.2.4, you needed to do a
pg_dumpall (using the 8.3 version of the tool) in order to get a backup
of the server.

The other alternative would be to start up the old version using the new
directory (pgdata.old) and then dump it.  However, the key here is that,
since pg_dumpall operates as a client application, you must have the
server up in order to dump the data.

Hope that helps..

Chander

От: "Tena Sakai"
Сообщение: Re: 8.3.0 upgrade, confused by documentation
От: "Scott Marlowe"
Сообщение: Re: [PERFORM] Question about CLUSTER