Re: case dumbiness in return from functions

От Nico Sabbi
Тема Re: case dumbiness in return from functions
Дата
Re: case dumbiness in return from functions  (Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>)
Re: case dumbiness in return from functions  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane ha scritto:
> Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@webthatworks.it> writes:
>
>> After discovering that pg_get_serial_sequence behaves in a bit
>> strange way[1] when it deals to case sensitiveness
>>

> The SQL standard specifies that unquoted identifiers are case-insensitive.
> You're welcome to spell them as camelCase in your source code if you
> feel like it, but don't expect that PG, or any other SQL-compliant
> database, will pay attention.
>
>             regards, tom lane

yet I find disturbing that Postgres doesn't make the effort
to respect the case specified by the user. If I created a field
called "REF" why should Postgres call it "ref" in the output of queries
if the standard doesn't specify any obligation to convert the name ?
I'd like to have the possibility to enable this feature in future releases.

As for portability: it may not be a concern when you have at disposal
the best DB around :)