Re: Dual core Opterons beating quad core Xeons?

От Cédric Villemain
Тема Re: Dual core Opterons beating quad core Xeons?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Stuart Bishop a écrit :
> Hi.
>
> We are looking at upgrading our primary servers. The final boxes will have
> 128GB ram, fast disk arrays and 4 CPUs.
>
> We currently have some eval units with 8GB ram and crappy disk to let us
> benchmark CPU choice. One box has 4 3GHz dual core Opterons with 1MB cache,
> the other box ha 4 3GHz quad core Xeons with 4MB cache.
>
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
> cache size      : 4096 KB
> model name      : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 8222 SE
> cache size      : 1024 KB
>
> I haven't had a chance to play with the hardware myself yet. The sysadmins
> have been running some benchmarks themselves though.
>
> For every non PG related benchmark they have run, the Xeon wins by around 20%.
>
> For pgbench (PG 8.2 running Ubuntu), the Opteron is getting about 6x TPS
> over the Xeon (3000+ TPS on Opteron vs ~500 on Xeon). Things get a little
> better for Xeon with PG 8.3 (570-540 TPS).
>
> Does this match what other people are seeing or expect, or have we screwed
> our benchmarks somehow?

http://tweakers.net/reviews/661/7

as an example

You can travel the website for other benchs... (there are about  dual
and quad core)

--
Cédric Villemain
Administrateur de Base de Données

Вложения

От: Stuart Bishop
Сообщение: Dual core Opterons beating quad core Xeons?