Dual core Opterons beating quad core Xeons?

От Stuart Bishop
Тема Dual core Opterons beating quad core Xeons?
Дата
Re: Dual core Opterons beating quad core Xeons?  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: Dual core Opterons beating quad core Xeons?  ("Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Re: Dual core Opterons beating quad core Xeons?  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Hi.

We are looking at upgrading our primary servers. The final boxes will have
128GB ram, fast disk arrays and 4 CPUs.

We currently have some eval units with 8GB ram and crappy disk to let us
benchmark CPU choice. One box has 4 3GHz dual core Opterons with 1MB cache,
the other box ha 4 3GHz quad core Xeons with 4MB cache.

model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
cache size      : 4096 KB
model name      : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 8222 SE
cache size      : 1024 KB

I haven't had a chance to play with the hardware myself yet. The sysadmins
have been running some benchmarks themselves though.

For every non PG related benchmark they have run, the Xeon wins by around 20%.

For pgbench (PG 8.2 running Ubuntu), the Opteron is getting about 6x TPS
over the Xeon (3000+ TPS on Opteron vs ~500 on Xeon). Things get a little
better for Xeon with PG 8.3 (570-540 TPS).

Does this match what other people are seeing or expect, or have we screwed
our benchmarks somehow?

Is this a PG specific win for Opteron, or will we see similar results with
other DBs?

Do people see wins for non-PG databases on Xeon, and are they as dramatic as
we are seeing for PG on Opteron?

With PG 8.2 and 8.3, is it still pretty much limited to 8 cores making 2 of
the quad core Xeons redundant or detrimental?

I expect we will be running this hardware for 8.2, 8.3 and 8.4. Anyone aware
of anything that might change the landscape for 8.4?

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/

Вложения