polymorphic functions and domains

От TJ O'Donnell
Тема polymorphic functions and domains
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
When I define two polymorpic functions, one taking
varchar and one bytea, there seems to be no confusion
choosing the varchar version when called with
the untyped literal 'abc'.

I really want two polymorphic functions, one taking
a domain data type using varchar and one bytea.
In that case, postgres complains that it cannot decide
which one to use when called with the
untyped literal 'abc'.

I thought I might could force the domain varchar version to be
chosen by casting the domain as varchar, but this does not
help.

The situation is explained in SQL below.

Can someone help me get qtest('abc') to use the qtest(astring)
function without having to explicitly cast 'abc'::astring;
I'm using 8.2.5 and Linux.k

Thanks,
TJ O'Donnell
www.gnova.com

Drop Function ztest(Character Varying);
Drop Function ztest(bytea);

Drop Function qtest(astring);
Drop Function qtest(Bytea);
Drop Cast (astring as Character Varying);
Drop Domain astring;

Create Or Replace Function ztest(Character Varying) Returns Integer As
$EOSQL$ Select length($1);
$EOSQL$ Language SQL;

Create Or Replace Function ztest(Bytea) Returns Integer As $EOSQL$ Select -(length($1));
$EOSQL$ Language SQL;

Select ztest('abc'::Character Varying);
-- worked as expected
Select ztest('abc'::Bytea);
-- worked as expected
Select ztest('abc');
-- worked as expected

Create Domain astring as Character Varying;

Create Or Replace Function qtest(astring) Returns Integer As $EOSQL$ Select length($1);
$EOSQL$ Language SQL;

Create Or Replace Function qtest(Bytea) Returns Integer As $EOSQL$ Select -(length($1));
$EOSQL$ Language SQL;

Select qtest('abc'::astring);
-- worked as expected
Select qtest('abc'::Bytea);
-- worked as expected

Select qtest('abc');
-- why did this not cause qtest(astring) to be chosen?

Create Cast (astring As Character Varying) Without Function As Implicit;
Select qtest('abc');
-- why did this not force qtest(astring) to be chosen?

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: