Re: shared memory settings on MAC OS X

От Alexander Stanier
Тема Re: shared memory settings on MAC OS X
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
We edit the /etc/rc directly; comment out the line with the default settings and add a new one just underneath it. The
onlytime this can cause a problem is that softwareupdate has been known to overwrite our settings from time to time,
butyou just have to check after patching and put it back in if goes. Probably not the right way to do it, but it has
alwaysworked for us!<br /><pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">Alex Stanier
EGS Limited

Direct Line: +44 (0) 20 7539 2811
Switchboard: +44 (0) 20 7539 2828
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7539 2829
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.egsgroup.com">www.egsgroup.com</a>

Registered Address: Baird House, 15-17 St Cross Street, London EC1N 8UW
cite="mid:C34B62D9.2B38E%25mty@fischerappelt.de"type="cite"><pre wrap="">Hi again,

Tom, I suspect you have Mac OS X Server installed, right? That's probably
why your /etc/sysctl.conf file mentions that /etc/sysctl-macosxserver.conf
file, while mine doesn't.

The critical part in my /etc/sysctl.conf file looks like this:

if [ -f /etc/sysctl.conf ]; then       awk '{ if (!index($1, "#") && index($1, "=")) print $1 }' <
/etc/sysctl.conf | while read       do               sysctl -w ${REPLY}       done
fi

sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=4194304 kern.sysv.shmmin=1 kern.sysv.shmmni=32
kern.sysv.shmseg=8 kern.sysv.shmall=1024

And frankly, to me it looks as if it means "if there is a /etc/sysctl.conf
file, then read it and accept its settings. Then overwrite the sysctl
settings with the default values, no matter what."

I know that my understanding is wrong though, because I tried changing the
settings on my local machine via the /etc/sysctl.conf file, and it worked.
But not on the machine that's supposed to be our pg server.
Okay, I will try that.

Thanks,
 Maximilian Tyrtania | IT-Entwickler <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Mty@fischerAppelt.de">Mty@fischerAppelt.de</a>fischerAppelt Kommunikation GmbH Friedichstr. 149 | D-10117
Berlin| Germany Tel. ++49-30-726146-728 | Fax ++49-30-726146-710 <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="http://www.fischerAppelt.de">www.fischerAppelt.de</a>
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Standorte: Hamburg, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, München, Stuttgart
Die Gesellschaft ist Teil des Everpublic Networks
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 49259
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Fischer-Appelt, Bernhard Fischer-Appelt

+++ fischerAppelt macht Fernsehen: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="http://www.fischerappelt-tvmedia.com">www.fischerappelt-tvmedia.com</a>+++

TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to      choose an index scan if your joining column's
datatypesdo not      match

This email has been scanned for viruses by Blackspider's Mail Control System.
For more information please visit <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.blackspider.com">http://www.blackspider.com</a>
formalware by SurfControl plc. </font><a href="http://www.surfcontrol.com/"><font color="#000000"
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR:#ffffff">www.surfcontrol.com</font></a>