Re: win32 threads patch vs beta2 - what to do?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: win32 threads patch vs beta2 - what to do?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> writes:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> I'm leaning towards applying the patch now, and hoping for 2b to happen.
>
>> I think we should live with the mingw BF breakage for a day or two. The
>> patch is clearly an important improvement, but it should be as widely
>> tested as possible.
>
> If Dave is intending to build the Windows installer as soon as beta2 is
> wrapped, then I agree with this plan.  But my understanding was we'd
> missed his window for today and so that wouldn't happen till Monday.
> Assuming that's true, the idea Bruce and I had discussed on the phone
> was:
>
> 1. Wrap official beta2 tonight, so that other packagers can work from it
> over the weekend;
>
> 2. Magnus fixes his patch Sunday and applies it then;
>
> 3. Dave builds the Windows installer Monday *from CVS tip*.
>
> So the Windows version would be beta2-plus-a-little but we'd neither
> hold up work on other platforms nor break anything in buildfarm.
>
> Just an alternative thought.  In any case I agree that we want
> Windows testing of beta2 to include this patch.

If we do that, then what we label as beta2 in the installer is *not* the
same as someone who has built beta2 from source. Can't say I like that
one, and I know Dave doesn't like it (he said so before going offline).

I'd rather see msvc working and mingw broken for beta2 really, because
then we *know* that if someone says they're doing beta2 on mingw they're
misinformed...

//Magnus