Re: pgstattuple module

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: pgstattuple module
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Khan, Mahmood Ahram wrote:
> But for some of the functions like btree index metapage,single btree
> pages,bt page items are not clear to me.

Those functions display the contents of b-tree pages. They're really
meant for debugging purposes. You'll need to understand the internal
structure of a b-tree index to make sense of the output. The b-tree
internals are explained in the source tree, in
src/backend/access/nbtree/README, and the source files in the same
directory.

In fact, in 8.3, those functions have been moved to a new, separate
contrib module called pageinspect, along with similar functions for
debugging heap contents. Hopefully that makes the distinction between
functions useful for DBAs and functions useful for developers more clear.