Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review

От Shane Ambler
Тема Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 16:50 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> IMO, the patch is reverted, and submitted for 8.4 or pgfoundry.
>
> You know, txid was discussed in Slony-I + Skytools lists for a
> reasonably long time, and Tom also commented in that thread. I agree
> that we broke the policy this time, but this does not mean the end of
> the world.

If it has been discussed and planned for so long then it should have
been considered for inclusion earlier, not just slipped under the radar.
Even if at feature freeze it wasn't ready it could have been discussed
whether it could be added after feature freeze if it reached an
acceptable standard.

If Slony or Skytools need this for a new feature in their x.y release
then it can be a patch that is included with their release or be a
prerequisite for their version x.y and detailed in their install steps.

Then they can discuss getting the change accepted into core or contrib
for the next pg release.

just my .02c

--

Shane Ambler