Re: DB upgrade

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: DB upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Andrew Kelly wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 13:58 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Am Dienstag, 9. Oktober 2007 schrieb Andrew Kelly:
>>> Unless my installation is unique in some way of which I'm yet unaware,
>> Yes, it's a Debian package.
>
> Indeed, yes.
>
> Where can I read what that means in the great scheme of things?
> Are you saying that Deb is markedly different from other packages (.rpm)
> or that any packaged version of PG is different from the recommended
> source install?

All packaged versions will differ from the source tarball in some way.
At one end of the scale, the ./configure options for where files go by
default will be different. At the other end of the scale the Windows
package bundles pgAdmin.

Debian have a (somewhat complex at first but very clever) system that
lets you have multiple installations of PG at the same time. This is
easy to do with source installs (because you'll make sure each has its
own directories and port by hand) but harder with packaging systems
(because the default settings for 8.1 and 8.2 will be the same).

To see all your installed packages, try:
   dpkg-query --list 'postgresql*'
If you're interested in the details try --listfiles:
   dpkg-query --listfiles postgresql-common
Basically version-specific binaries etc go in their own directories and
what you run is just a wrapper that redirects to the appropriate version.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd