Re: Video available for PGDay SJC '09

От Christophe Pettus
Тема Re: Video available for PGDay SJC '09
Дата
Re: Video available for PGDay SJC '09
Список pgsql-general
On Jul 28, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Andreas Wenk wrote:
> another good approach. I understand the point of view. But this
> menas to download the files anyway because playing mpeg files in the
> browser is the same as with mov files - I think.

Historically, MOV has been the least-bad container format; Flash
support on anything besides Windows has, traditionally, been very
spotty.  The files themselves are pretty much the same size; FLV is
(as noted) a container format, not a codec, and the video is H.264
either way.

And, of course, you do have to download the video either way; it just
starts playing faster if you are using a Flash viewer.  Requiring a
download first does have the advantage that it keeps the bandwidth off
of media.postgresql.org down, since the video only has to be
downloaded to your desktop once, rather than each time you watch it.
(I'm not sure how much of a real issue this is, however.)

The right answer is to move to using the <video> tag, now that more
browsers are supporting it.  For the next event, I'll encourage
providing a <video>-based viewer (since I don't control the HTML on
postgresql.org, I can't make any grand promises).