Re: Video available for PGDay SJC '09

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Video available for PGDay SJC '09
Дата
Re: Video available for PGDay SJC '09
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Christophe Pettus<xof@thebuild.com> wrote:

> Historically, MOV has been the least-bad container format; Flash support on
> anything besides Windows has, traditionally, been very spotty.  The files
> themselves are pretty much the same size; FLV is (as noted) a container
> format, not a codec, and the video is H.264 either way.

(fwiw H.264 isn't a codec either... it's a compression format which
can be generated by various codecs)

I think I'm scarred from Quicktime files because they often were
encoded with codecs like Sorensen which produced proprietary formats.

What does IE or firefox < 3.5 really do if you just link to an mpeg
file? Doesn't it run whatever app is set to handle that format? Why is
a flash plugin based page better than that? I have a feeling I'm just
being iconoclastic for the sake of it here.

In reality I would be pretty happy with any page that had a link at
the bottom to download an mpeg format file with H.264 data in it that
mplayer can play.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf