Re: Cast on character columns in views

От Luiz K. Matsumura
Тема Re: Cast on character columns in views
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

Luiz K. Matsumura wrote:

> Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
>> --- "Luiz K. Matsumura" <luiz@planit.com.br> wrote:
>>
>>> CREATE VIEW view1( id, col1, type1, type2) AS
>>> SELECT table1.id,
>>>        table1.col1,
>>>        CAST( table2.type1 AS CHARACTER( 3 )),
>>>        NULL
>>> FROM   table1
>>> JOIN   table2 ON table2.fk_table1 = table1.id
>>> UNION ALL
>>> SELECT table1.id,
>>>        table1.col1,
>>>        CAST( NULL AS CHARACTER( 3 )),
>>>        table3.type2
>>> FROM   table1
>>> JOIN   table3 ON table3.fk_table1 = table1.id;
>>>

>> Would the above changes work?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Richard Broersma Jr.
>>

> Hi Richard,
> Your changes works ! But now I know what mistake I did:
>
> The error is occurring because I'm doing a CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW
> command.
> The command with null:character(3) works too.
> The error is because I create a view then try to change the definition
> with the CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW command
> When I drop the view first , and then create again the view (in a
> separated transaction), now the command works! (this is a bug?)
> I'm using a postgres 8.2.4 on Linux.
>
> Thanks a lot!

Ugh, I'm totally crazy with this views
I'm using pgadmin with postgres, when I  clink on "view the data of
selected object" button all works fine.
But when I open a query tool window and do:

SELECT * FROM view1;

Now, again type1 column returns as bpchar.
But if I do:

SELECT type1 FROM view1;

Now, type1 column returns as character(3)

If I do

select id, col1, type1,type2  from view1;

Again type1 returns as bpchar. But if I do

select id, col1,type2, type1 from view1;

Now type1 return as character(3).

--
Luiz K. Matsumura
Plan IT Tecnologia Informática Ltda.