Re: Cast on character columns in views

От Luiz K. Matsumura
Тема Re: Cast on character columns in views
Дата
Re: Cast on character columns in views  (Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com>)
Список pgsql-sql
Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> --- "Luiz K. Matsumura" <luiz@planit.com.br> wrote:
>
>> CREATE VIEW view1( id, col1, type1, type2) AS
>> SELECT table1.id,
>>        table1.col1,
>>        CAST( table2.type1 AS CHARACTER( 3 )),
>>        NULL
>> FROM   table1
>> JOIN   table2 ON table2.fk_table1 = table1.id
>> UNION ALL
>> SELECT table1.id,
>>        table1.col1,
>>        CAST( NULL AS CHARACTER( 3 )),
>>        table3.type2
>> FROM   table1
>> JOIN   table3 ON table3.fk_table1 = table1.id;
>>

> Would the above changes work?
>
> Regards,
> Richard Broersma Jr.

Hi Richard,
Your changes works ! But now I know what mistake I did:

The error is occurring because I'm doing a CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW command.
The command with null:character(3) works too.
The error is because I create a view then try to change the definition
with the CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW command
When I drop the view first , and then create again the view (in a
separated transaction), now the command works! (this is a bug?)
I'm using a postgres 8.2.4 on Linux.

Thanks a lot!

--
Luiz K. Matsumura