PITR backup to Novell Netware file server

От Kevin Grittner
Тема PITR backup to Novell Netware file server
Дата
Re: PITR backup to Novell Netware file server  (Andrew Kroeger <andrew@sprocks.gotdns.com>)
Re: PITR backup to Novell Netware file server  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
We have a database in each Wisconsin county which is part of the official
court record for the circuit courts in that county.  We are required to keep
a backup in each county, such that we could recover a lost or corrupted
database with what is in the county (as well as keeping at least four
separate sources, each regularly confirmed as usable, at our central site).
Currently, the only two boxes available besides the database server (in most
counties) are a "utility server" (a Windows desktop class machine used to
push workstation images and other support tasks) and a Novell Netware file
server.

We had to get something going quickly when we started rolling PostgreSQL out
to the counties as a replacement of a commercial database product; the quick
and (way too) dirty approach was to create a samba share on the utility
server for the target of the archive_command and our base backups.  We rsync
from there back to the central site using the samba share, too.  We
frequently lose the mount points or they become unresponsive.  We also
frequently have corrupted files when they rsync across the WAN, so we want
to move away from all use of samba.

The Netware server supports ssh, scp, and an rsync daemon.  I don't see how
the ssh implementation is helpful, though, since it just gets you to the
Netware console -- you can't cat to a disk file through it, for example.
(At least not as far as we have been able to see.)  It appears that the scp
and rsync techniques both require the initial copy of the file to be saved
on the database server itself, which we were hoping to avoid for performance
reasons.

We could create ncp mounts on the database servers; but, frankly, we haven't
had much better luck in keeping those connected than we have with samba.
Has anyone else been through this and found a robust and reliable way to
do PITR backups from a PostgreSQL database on one machine to a Netware file
server on another?

Apparently we will be moving to a Linux-based implementation of Netware at
some unspecified future date, at which point we will apparently be able to
deal directly with the Linux layer.  At that point, there are obvious, clean
solutions; but we've got to have something reasonable until such date, which
is most likely a few years off.

-Kevin