Re: statement caching patch from Laszlo Hornyak for review

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: statement caching patch from Laszlo Hornyak for review
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Dave Cramer wrote:
> Laszlo Hornyak has finished off the proof of concept patch that I
> submitted a few months ago.
>
> This driver implements prepared statement caching and was used by Sun to
> achieve the excellent results for their benchmark.
>
> Statement caching has proven to provide a 30-40% improvement in the
> benchmark results.

FWIW, I'm still of the opinion that this doesn't belong in the JDBC
driver. Is there anything in there that depends on PostgreSQL? You could
just implement it as a generic wrapper, right?

Don't get me wrong, I know it really can give a big boost in
performance, and it's definitely worth having if your application server
doesn't do statement caching already. I'd just prefer to keep the driver
slim, and implement additional features as external modules.

In fact, how about kicking our connection pool implementation out to an
external module as well? The connection pool and the statement cache
could live together as a pgfoundry project, or as an additional jar in
the jdbc project.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas