Re: Connection error

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Connection error
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Don't forget to cc: the list

Fst Procurement wrote:
> Netstat has the following two entries.
>
> Local address                                Foreign address.
>
> fstserver1:2359                              fstserver1.fst.co.za:5432
> fstserver1:5432                              fstserver1.fst.co.za:2359

OK, so it looks like something is listening on the right port.
Furthermore, you have a connection too!

> The service starts, a new log file is created every time the service
> starts, the conf file has been set to listen on all ip addresses and the
> pg_hba.conf is exactly the same as the Win 2000 server.

And what is in the log-file? Does it show evidence of connections.

> Perhaps I should recap.
>
> We acquired a new server, installed Win 2003, installed Postgresql and
> configured it with the same databases etc as the old one. We then tried
> to run our 3rd party software to access the database on the new server
> and received the connection error. The software uses ODBC to connect and
> the only change that was required for the ODBC was to set the host
> parameter to point to the new server. If I use the "Test" button it
> returns "connection successful".

Well, if your odbc test works but the application doesn't then you need
to find out what is different between the two.

> I can connect to the server with PgAdmin running from a remote machine,
> but when I try and make a backup of the database through PgAdmin from
> the remote machine, I get the same error message as that of the 3rd
> party software.

OK, so there clearly isn't a problem with the server side of things. If
you can connect with pgadmin, then you can connect.

Hmm - pgadmin just seems to run pg_dump with the relevant parameters.
One of the following is different between pgadmin connecting normally
and running pg_dump:
  - host
  - port
  - user
  - password
See the server logs for details (assuming you've turned connection
logging on)

> When changing parameters in the conf file all I do is remove the comment
> in the relevant line and then with some parameters the service refuses
> to re-start. If I replace the comment it re-starts.

Something will be logged. Although, if you're uncommenting the default
values I can't see how you can get errors.

> I have no fire wall set up and also don't have anti-virus running on the
> server. I have also switched off DEP on the new server.

It's not your server, it's your clients.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd