Re: Connection error

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Connection error
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Fst Procurement wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am trying to connect to postgres on Win 2003 server std version but I
> keep on getting an error . "Are you sure the server is running and that
> connections for the client's IP address have been enabled" . The Win
> 2003 is a 64 bit edition.
>
> I am sure of my settings. I have installed on a Win 2000 server with no
> problems.

So is PostgreSQL listening on the port you've set?
Can you connect to that port from the client machine?
What do the logs show (you have turned connection logging on, haven't you)?

> The only difference between this installation and the Win 2000
> installation is that I installed the database on logical drive D and the
> program was installed on drive C.

And the fact that they are different machines, running different
operating systems.

> I have checked all settings that I can think of. Do you have any other
> ideas for me?

There's no need to check all your settings. Just work through the basic
steps to check PG (or any service) is running:
1. Does the service start?
    - does it say started in your service manager?
    - does it appear in your process list?
    - what do the logs say?
2. Is it listening to the right port?
    - what does netstat say?
3. Can you connect to that port?
    - Will a telnet to that port connect?
    - do your firewall logs show anything?

If you pass these 3 then you should be able to get PG to log a
connection attempt (whether it passes or fails).

> I have used EMS SqlManager to transfer data and that worked Ok.

Hang on - can you connect, or can't you? If you can connect with
SqlManager but not pgadmin that suggests your settings in pgadmin,
doesn't it?

 > However
> when trying to make a backup with PgAdmin 1.7 I get the same connection
> error. I tried installing PgAdmin 1.8 but this will not connect at all -
> not even to the Win 2000 server.

I don't think they released a version 1.7 of pgAdmin-III, and I know 1.8
is in beta. Stick to the working releases if you're trying to diagnose a
problem.

> I have tried changing some parameters in the conf file. I first stop the
> service, change the settings and re-start the service. On some changes
> the service will not re-start. I have to undo these changes to get the
> service to start again. Are there some settings which cannot be changed?

No. You might get the syntax wrong, in which case you might stop the
system from starting. Your logs should say why.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd