Re: perpetual dump/restore problem

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: perpetual dump/restore problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
wu_zhong_min@vrane.com wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> As many of you know every time one wants to upgrade to a major server
> version, as I want to do now, there is a need for pg_dumpall and
> restore.  This is a huge undertaking and requires lots of testing and
> planning.  I do hope that in the future this requirement will be
> dropped.

There is currently some discussion about an upgrade tool, but there has
been discussion before. It's not a simple problem, and it won't reduce
the need for testing, just the dump/restore.

> I am now upgrading from 8.1.9 to 8.2.4 and pg_dumpall gives a dump
> file which has a command "\connect template0"

OK. If you're not in a hurry, and can wait a few months 8.3 will be out.

> Normally template0 does not accept connection but I found a way to
> make that happen in the documentation on postgresql website.  But is
> it generally safe to accept the connection for template0 all the
> time?  Why won't pg_dump include a line to accept connection for
> template0 just before it writes "\connect template0" and then remove
> the permission after it is done with template0?

Might be a bug, but first; did you dump using 8.2's pg_dumpall?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd