Re: perpetual dump/restore problem

От Erik Jones
Тема Re: perpetual dump/restore problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jul 5, 2007, at 2:49 AM, Richard Huxton wrote:

> wu_zhong_min@vrane.com wrote:
>> Dear List,
>> As many of you know every time one wants to upgrade to a major server
>> version, as I want to do now, there is a need for pg_dumpall and
>> restore.  This is a huge undertaking and requires lots of testing and
>> planning.  I do hope that in the future this requirement will be
>> dropped.
>
> There is currently some discussion about an upgrade tool, but there
> has been discussion before. It's not a simple problem, and it won't
> reduce the need for testing, just the dump/restore.

One shot at that would be the pg_migrator tool that Enterprise DB has
put up on pgfoundry (http://pgfoundry.org/frs/?
group_id=1000235&release_id=763).   It does have it's caveats,
though, so make sure to carefully read the documentation in the
download.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com