Re: Replication

От Markus Schiltknecht
Тема Re: Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,

Craig James wrote:
> Is Postgres-R the same thing as Slony-II?  There's a lot of info and
> news around about Slony-II, but your web page doesn't seem to mention it.

Hm... true. Good point. Maybe I should add a FAQ:

Postgres-R has been the name of the research project by Bettina Kemme et
al. Slony-II was the name Neil and Gavin gave their attempt to continue
that project.

I've based my work on the old (6.4.2) Postgres-R source code - and I'm
still calling it Postgres-R, probably Postgres-R (8) to distinguish it
from the original one. But I'm thinking about changing the name
completely... however, I'm a developer, not a marketing guru.

> While researching replication solutions, I had a heck of a time sorting
> out the dead or outdated web pages (like the stuff on gborg) from the
> active projects.

Yeah, that's one of the main problems with replication for PostgreSQL. I
hope Postgres-R (or whatever name I'll come up with in the future) can
change that.

> Either way, it's great to know you're working on it.

Maybe you want to join its mailing list [1]? I'll try to get some
discussion going there in the near future.

Regards

Markus

[1]: Postgres-R on gborg:
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/postgres-r/