Re: Controlling Load Distributed Checkpoints

От Florian G. Pflug
Тема Re: Controlling Load Distributed Checkpoints
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>>> I don't think it's a historical artifact at all: it's a valid reflection
>>> of the fact that we don't know enough about disk layout to do low-level
>>> I/O scheduling.  Issuing more fsyncs than necessary will do little
>>> except guarantee a less-than-optimal scheduling of the writes.
>>
>> If we extended relations by more than 8k at a time, we would know a lot
>> more about disk layout, at least on filesystems with a decent amount of
>> free space.
>
> I doubt it makes that much difference. If there was a significant amount
> of fragmentation, we'd hear more complaints about seq scan performance.

OTOH, extending a relation that uses N pages by something like
min(ceil(N/1024), 1024)) pages might help some filesystems to
avoid fragmentation, and hardly introduce any waste (about 0.1%
in the worst case). So if it's not too hard to do it might
be worthwhile, even if it turns out that most filesystems deal
well with the current allocation pattern.

greetings, Florian Pflug