Re: memory issues when running with mod_perl

От Fred Tyler
Тема Re: memory issues when running with mod_perl
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> > Tonight I am going to upgrade postgres on the first machine and see if
> > it makes any difference, but it'll be about a week before I know for
> > sure if memory is still being lost (it's such a slow leak that you
> > cannot tell with just a couple days).
>
> I use the latest 8.1.4 postgres software on my machine, this does not help.

Actually, I was going to upgrade to 7.4.13 thinking that maybe some
bugfix got into the 7.4 series that didn't make it into the 8.1
series. That said, however, I think this is a long shot and I'm not
really expecting it to help. All my research a few months ago pointed
to this being a memory leak in the 2.6.12 kernel, and I've been
patiently waiting for a good time to upgrade the kernel, cross my
fingers, and hope everything is magically fixed. But since it came up
on the mod_perl list recently and I saw that others with very similar
configurations were having the same problems, it's renewed my interest
in trying to pinpoint the problem.

> You say that you are using Linux 2.6.12.6 on the machine with the
> problem and Linux 2.6.16.27 on the one where you do not loose memory.
> Are there any other differences (RAID, Reiser FS, DBI, DBD::Pg, Embperl,
> physical memory or swap

As far as software goes, they are identical with the exception of the
kernel version and postgres version. Both run reiserfs. No RAID. The
physical memory is the same (2GB). The differences are:

Leaky machine: 256MB swap, P4 2.8GHz
Non-leaky machine: 512MB swap, Pentium D (dual core) 3.0GHz.

What is your kernel version?