Re: EXPLAIN omits schema?

От Dave Page
Тема Re: EXPLAIN omits schema?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Dave Page (dpage@postgresql.org) wrote:
>> /* We only show the rel name, not schema name */
>> relname = get_rel_name(rte->relid);
>>
>> Anyone know why? This seems like a bug to me given the ambiguity of
>> possible output.
>
> I'd assume it's to keep the explain output smaller with the
> expectation/assumption that in general you're going to know.  A possible
> work-around would be to just always provide table aliases for your
> queries, as those are shown in the explain.

I have no control over the queries themselves.

> In terms of behaviour changes, I think it'd be nice to show the schema
> name when necessary but otherwise don't, ala how '\d <view>' works.

In my case that would be awkward as pgAdmin would then need to try to
work out what the actual table was based on the search path used for the
users query.

> Another option might be to omit the schema when an alias is provided, or
> maybe even omit the entire table name in favor of the alias.

That would make it very painful as I'd need to parse the query client
side to resolve the table names. Yeuch.

Just adding the schema name seems the most sensible and usable option -
not to mention the easiest!

Regards, Dave