Re: EXPLAIN omits schema?

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: EXPLAIN omits schema?
Дата
Re: EXPLAIN omits schema?  (Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith@pooteeweet.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
* Dave Page (dpage@postgresql.org) wrote:
> /* We only show the rel name, not schema name */
> relname = get_rel_name(rte->relid);
>
> Anyone know why? This seems like a bug to me given the ambiguity of
> possible output.

I'd assume it's to keep the explain output smaller with the
expectation/assumption that in general you're going to know.  A possible
work-around would be to just always provide table aliases for your
queries, as those are shown in the explain.

In terms of behaviour changes, I think it'd be nice to show the schema
name when necessary but otherwise don't, ala how '\d <view>' works.

Another option might be to omit the schema when an alias is provided, or
maybe even omit the entire table name in favor of the alias.

Just my 2c.
Thanks,
    Stephen