Re: the right time to vacuum database?

От Chander Ganesan
Тема Re: the right time to vacuum database?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Charles.Hou wrote:
> how can i know that it's the time to vacuumdb? i set the crontab to
> vacuumdb 3 times in one day. because my database size increase from
> 440MB to 460MB in 8 hours.

What Version of PostgreSQL are you using? If it's recent ( > 8.1) you
might benefit from using AutoVacuum (AVD), which will take care of
vacuuming for you once table fragmentation (the ratio of dead tuples to
total tuples) becomes an issue. Otherwise, it's hard to tell based on
your metric above. You may have one small table that is updated a lot
(in which case a vacuum is a good idea on that table) or lots of tables
that are updated a little (in which its probably overkill). Your best
bet might be to turn on row level stats collection and look at the
statistics to see if one or more tables is becoming fragmented (BTW,
this is what AVD does). 440 to 460 doesn't seem to significant to me,
but it all depends on the size of your tables, update/delete profile, etc.

--
Chander Ganesan
The Open Technology Group

От: vv
Сообщение: Re: Failed install of PostgreSQL v8.2.4 - initdb fails with Access is denied
От: "Chris Hoover"
Сообщение: Help with database change