Re: Disk space usage

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Disk space usage
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 13:57, Joe Bloggs wrote:
>> I created a table in 8.1.5 on Linux with three columns;
>> date, bigint and integer.
>>
>> I looked at the size of the file that contained the table and divided
>> this by the number of rows which gave an average of just over 60 bytes
>> per row.
>>
>> This seems to be quite a large overhead as I would guess that the date
>> field takes around 4 bytes, the bigint 8 bytes and the integer 4
>> bytes. I would have hoped to have had an average size of between 20
>> and 30 bytes per row.

> Had you done any updates to the tables?

I think it's about dead on, if he's using a machine with MAXALIGN 8:

    Row's item pointer    4 bytes
    Row header        32 bytes (including alignment padding)
    date column        4 bytes
    alignment padding    4 bytes
    bigint column        8 bytes
    integer column        4 bytes
    alignment padding    4 bytes
                --------
                60 bytes

The choice of column order is unfortunate --- if he'd put the bigint
column either first or last, there wouldn't be the alignment penalties.

Hopefully we'll be able to get the row header back down to 24 bytes in
8.3, but it's never going to be the 4-or-so-bytes that the OP is
imagining.