Re: the future of pljava development

От Marek Lewczuk
Тема Re: the future of pljava development
Дата
Re: the future of pljava development  ("Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej.groups@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Magnus Hagander pisze:
> Being a fan or not of the language really isn't the issue, and nobody is
> *ignoring* the language and platform. We all know "the others" have it.
> And we want it. But the core team (or more importantly in this case, the
> people doing backend development, which is  partially a different thing)
> aren't *java programmers* (at least not good ones, AFAIK), so they
> really can't do much there. This is one of the reasons we have the
> pl/java project separately - to make it possible to have people focus on
> what they know and are good at.
I didn't wanted to say that all PostgreSQL core developers should start
working on pljava - I just wanted to ask whether we can ask for help
with C,JNI and PostgreSQL backend cause that is the problem.

> Oh, and both DB2 and SQLServer has .Net support for stored procedures,
> and we don't have that at all - so you could make an equally strong
> argument that the core people should focus on that. Which has even less
> chance of happening :-)
Good point, but from the other hand there are plenty of programing
languages but Java is the most popular :-) (source:
http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm).

>> I would like to know your opinion about pljava and its future and maybe
>> also there are people among PostgreSQL developers (core team or contrib
>> team) that are able to help with the development.
>
> If you (or whomever picks up where the project is at now) have any
> specific issues wrt the backend integration and such things, there are a
> lot of people on the -hackers list that will be happy to help out. But
> since most of us aren't Java people, you're probably going to have to
> look elsewhere if you need help with the Java parts.
There is no problem with Java parts but rather connecting Java with
PostgreSQL backend which requires knowledge of C and JNI.

> We did have one not too long ago. It showed that about 14% of our users
> did, which puts it in fourth place, after perl, php and python. But not
> far behind. See http://www.postgresql.org/community/survey.44
Count +1 for pljava, I didn't vote (unfortunately) :-(

> So saying that it's one of the most important features is definitely
> wrong. Saying it's important or very important is absolutely not wrong.
You are right, it's very important and I hope that all of us agree with
that statement (maybe I go too far saying "one of the most...") :-)

Regards,
Marek

От: Rich Shepard
Сообщение: Re: Timestamp with time zone: why not?
От: Magnus Hagander
Сообщение: Re: the future of pljava development