Re: Not ready for 8.3

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Not ready for 8.3
Дата
Re: Not ready for 8.3  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith wrote:

> Heikki's great summary helps (I think the one piece I was screwing up
> is covered there), and Pavan's comments adds some useful bits.  The
> still missing part is how to make a real branch to work in, which is
> much easier to work with once you figure out how to do it than either
> using just diffs or tagging.

What would making a branch actually do for you? The only advantage I can
see is that it will give you a way of checkpointing your files. As I
remarked upthread, I occasionally use RCS for that. But mostly I don't
actually bother. I don't see how you can do it reasonably off a local
cvs mirror - rsync will just blow away any changes you have checked in
next time you sync with the master.

I don't think we can make CVS behave like a distributed SCM system, and
ability to create local branches seems to me one of the fundamental
points of such systems. If that's what the demand is for, then we should
look again at moving to something like Mercurial.

cheers

andrew