Re: Difference between child_life_time and connection_life_time in pgPool

От Glyn Astill
Тема Re: Difference between child_life_time and connection_life_time in pgPool
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

You should ask your question on the "pgpool-general" list (pgpool-general@pgpool.net).

My understanding was that child_life_time is the amount of time an idle pgpool child process (that is an unused
backend)will live for before it is torn down and replaced with a new child porocess.  In the past pgpool would from
timeto time have the odd memory leak bug, and I think this setting was to try and mitigate the impact of such bugs.
Youshouldn't really worry about it too much on a stable version of pgpool these days I'd have thought.

The connection_life_time parameter is the amount of time an idle connection between pgpool and the postgres server will
bekept open before disconnecting.  A simplified explanation would be to imagine you have a single client connecting via
pgpool,that connects every 10 seconds and runs a short lived query; if you set this to 5 seconds then every time your
clientconnected to pgpool, pgpool  would have to connect to the postgresql server, and once the client had disconnected
frompgpool, pgpool would disconnect from postgresql 5 seconds later. If you were to instead set it to 15 seconds,
pgpoolwould keep the connection to postgresql connection open between your clients connections to pgpool its self as
thelifetime would not elapse.  The latter being the kind of behaviour people usually want from a connection pooler.

You should ask your questions on pgpool-general if you want better quality answers though.