Re: Vacuuming

От Paul Lambert
Тема Re: Vacuuming
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

> The only thing a vacuum would do for you there is set the commit hint
> bits on the newly-inserted rows.  Which might be worth doing if you want
> to get the table into a totally "clean" state, but it's probably a bit
> excessive.  SELECTs on the table will set the hint bits anyway as
> they visit not-yet-hinted rows, so it's really a matter of do you want
> to pay that overhead all at once or spread-out.
>
> What you *do* want to do in this situation is an ANALYZE.
>
>             regards, tom lane

>                http://archives.postgresql.org/

Thanks Tom.

Should the ANALYZE be done before or after indexes are built? Or is that
irrelevant? Should I not even bother rebuilding indexes when I do these
loads?

Currently I:
1) Drop Indexes
2) Truncate and copy in new data
3) Vacuum - now changed to analyze.
4) Create indexes

I add steps one and four on the assumption that adding 40 million
records in one hit might get the indexes confused - but if they are
pretty stable I can remove these steps.

P.

--
Paul Lambert