Re: Integer datetimes

От Zdenek Kotala
Тема Re: Integer datetimes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway wrote:

> So, are there any corresponding benefits to providing both FP and
> integer datetimes? AFAIK the following differences in user-visible
> behavior exist:

There should be also problem with floating point implementation on
client and server side. For example if somebody use floating point
optimalization (-fast switch in Sun Studio) for server compilation and
client will be connected from another machine with standard floating
point behavior. Result could be wrong.

> P.S. One thing to verify is that the performance of integer datetimes is
> no worse than the perf. of FP datetimes. I'd intuitively expect this to
> be true, but it would be worth investigating.

Some multi core/thread CPUs has only one FPU (e.g. Niagara).

    Zdenek