Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

От Sebastian Hennebrueder
Тема Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
david@lang.hm schrieb:
> On Tue, 1 May 2007, Carlos Moreno wrote:
>
>>>  large problem from a slog perspective; there is no standard way even
>>>  within Linux to describe CPUs, for example. Collecting available disk
>>>  space information is even worse.   So I'd like some help on this
>>> portion.
>>>

>> Quite likely, naiveness follows...  But, aren't things like
>> /proc/cpuinfo ,
>> /proc/meminfo, /proc/partitions / /proc/diskstats standard, at the very
>> least across Linux distros?  I'm not familiar with BSD or other Unix
>> flavours, but I would expect these (or their equivalent) to exist in
>> those,
>> no?
>>
>> Am I just being naive?
>
> unfortunantly yes.
>
> across different linux distros they are fairly standard (however
> different kernel versions will change them)
>
> however different kernels need drasticly different tools to get the
> info from them.
>
> David Lang

Before inventing a hyper tool, we might consider to provide 3-5 example
szenarios for common hardware configurations. This consumes less time
and be discussed and defined in a couple of days. This is of course not
the correct option for a brandnew 20 spindle Sata 10.000 Raid 10 system
but these are probably not the target for default configurations.

If we carefully document these szenario they would we a great help for
people having  some hardware "between" the szenarios.

Sebastian Hennebrueder

От: Paul Smith
Сообщение: Re: Index not being used in sorting of simple table
От: "Merlin Moncure"
Сообщение: Re: Query performance problems with partitioned tables